Thursday, September 13, 2012

Big Pops Meets Big Beard (Updated)


I don't have much info about this photo except that it's from 1968 when Ralph visited California with his parents. I guess I can put a call in to the Kid for the info, but I'll just wait for the update. I'm pretty sure this is Hollywood and that is not Gabby Hayes (this gentleman's posture is too good).

But I'll tell you what I THINK Ralph's saying to himself: "35 cents for a half an hour? Forget it. Too much!"

UPDATE: Ralph responds: "That happens to be none other than Wild Bill Tucker, who can make any bird call at will." Of course, the Kid never forgets. Wild Bill Tucker was a real Hollywood character ("unofficial greeter at Grauman's Chinese Theatre"), often seen on the Boulevard. In an article in the Portsmouth Times, August 13, 1964, Wild Bill says, "I can make any sound you name; here's a hurricane." There's not much info about him online. Last reference I can find is in article from '72. He's most likely passed away by now, as he'd be well over 100. He's probably in that great mustache wax factory in the sky!

Leave it to Ralph to get us (well, me) talking about Wild Bill Tucker again!

No comments:

Post a Comment